After running Beginner taxidermy training courses for over 15 years. I am now offering free courses to students.
Just send me an Email or give me a ring.
mike @ Taxidermy . co . uk - phone: 01937 844580
How does this work?
If you are capable of skinning and assembling a bird or small mammal by yourself, you can send me a photos of your work, don't worry I do not expect perfection i expect you to be above absolute beginner only.
You will work on items in my studio and possible free accommodation if needed.
In brief I get some help and you get some training and experience.
Taxidermy Beginner Training 3 Day Training Course Structure
Beginner Taxidermy Training Course for those without any or with little experience
- High quality training in my village studio in Boston Spa West Yorkshire
- Items used will be jay or jackdaw for birds and grey squirrels for mammals as these give the best learning curve for beginners
- Taxidermy & the Law learn all you need to know (inc log sheets and forms)
- Anatomy lesson clear learning through practical model building and step by step explanations
- Use of measurements learn how to control all the most common mistakes
- Skinning, Degreasing you will be shown all the necessary short cuts stage by stage
- Washing & Drying learn my techniques over 20 years of perfecting
- Making a Mannequin traditional bind up method is used (the most flexible) modern carving casting methods shown
- Assembly stage by stage assembly giving the greatest control and simplicity and a procedure to help produce good results across all animals
- Most important of all Modeling this most complex area covered in great detail
- Max 4 people with similar stage of achievement to make sure you get full attention and help
- What do you need to bring? all materials provided so that all you need to bring if you wish is is a note book, camera (but no sound or video recorder) and log or any other thing you would like your item to be mounted on
- You take home your finished piece
- Refreshments provided including light lunch for each day of the course
- Start 9.00 am to 4.30-5pm flexible to how we are doing
- Finishing techniques including decoration of bases
Interested? Pay just 50% now to book a place refundable prior to date agreed.
You can book a place on a course by just paying 50% now and the remaining 50% to be paid when attending the course.
Mike with a student working on a Jay
Students Creating a Taxidermy Bird Body (manakin)
Students with their first Squirrel
Mike's Beginner Taxidermy Book
Taxidermy Training Book included on Mammal Course
If you choose the mammal course, a copy of my Beginner Book on Small Mammal Taxidermy is included (you will get £50 refunded if you have already purchased this book). I am also working on a beginner book on Bird Taxidermy and a more advanced book. This will be included with the bird course when completed and offered at a discount to past students.